HCAO Lobby Day, Hearing and Rally
April 20 at the Capitol in Salem
REGISTER HERE to join Health Care for All-Oregon Thursday, April 20, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., at a Senate Committee on Health Care hearing on our single payer bill and the RAND study, legislative visits and a rally on the West Capitol steps in Salem in support of universal, publicly funded health care.
- 9 a.m, to 4 p.m.: Registration and Legislative Packet pick up, Room 243 Oregon State Capitol
- 9 a.m, to 4 p.m.: Legislative Visits (set visits with your Senator and Representative in advance.)
- Noon to 12:30 p.m.: Rally on the WEST Capitol steps (by the circle of state flags); wear t-shirts, bring signs and banners (no signs or banners allowed inside Capitol).
- 1 p.m.: Senate Committee on Health Care Hearing, Hearing Room E, (we will have scheduled individuals to testify).
We expect several hundred statewide HCAO activists carrying signs and banners while they listen to inspiring speakers at a noon West steps rally. There will also be the opportunity for you to organize visits with your legislators. There is nothing like sharing your personal story with your legislators to educate and move them on this issue!
Don’t wait--start your plans to fill a bus, a van, or caravan of cars and spend the day in Salem telling Oregon legislators that we want health care for ALL people. (Each regional team will want to work out food arrangements--bag lunch, hit a local cafe, etc)
See you on April 20. Register Now!
HCAO Speakers' Bureau training
Want to brush up your speaking and persuasion skills for health care reform? Come join us in Portland on Saturday April 29.
Since the election people have become politically energized. They are coming to HCAO activists and asking what they can do to help. They want to save the gains we’ve made in health care and push for the ultimate solution, Better Medicare for All.
To achieve health care for all, we need to expand our public outreach and education massively. We need many veteran speakers and activists to serve as mentors and many new speakers if we are to reach our goal.
Mike Huntington M.D., Cliff Goldman, and Larry Steward Ph.D, of the HCAO Speakers’ Bureau and Hyung Nam, chair of the HCAO Education Committee, will lead a special five-hour Speakers’ Bureau training and workshop:
When: Saturday, April 29, 10:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Where: Holladay Park Plaza, 1300 NE 16th Ave.. Portland, Oregon
For: Experienced speakers to lend their expertise and new people wanting to better advocate for health care for all
On how to:
1. Engage others in friendly conversation about health care
2. Frame our stories to inoculate the public against misleading arguments
3. Develop, and deliver our own stories. Adapt them to existing HCAO stump speeches and elevator speeches
4. Know when to Organize newcomers and when to Mobilize the choir.
5. Form teams of mentors and new speakers to work together