News from around the state
We have reports from HCAO activists in all five regions of the state: Mid-Valley, Cascades-East, Northwest, Southwest, and Metro. To see them, click here.
Region 1: Mid-Valley (Benton, Linn, Marion and Polk Counties)
- Mike Huntington reports that the Mid-Valley 25th anniversary celebration, attended by approximately 200, included a streaming presentation by T.R. Reid from Colorado.
- We're making progress with the Advisory Question vote in Corvallis, printing literature and practicing canvassing techniques.
- Marisabel Gouverneur and Norm Nelson hosted the monthly local PNHP meeting in August. Paul Hochfeld held forth with his single risk pool rationale to rapt attention of the attendees. All are welcome to these third Monday meetings, 5:30-7:00 p.m., held at homes of activists who like to ponder the imponderables of moving to universal health care. RSVP Mike Huntington 541-829-1182.
- Lee Mercer reports that the Marion-Polk county group collected signatures at the Salem Art Fair and participated in the Davenport parade.
- Edie Orner reports that the Albany group did a lot of tabling in July, including at the Bernie Fest in Lebanon and the Lions' Pancake Feed. Their Legislative Liaisons are inviting legislators and candidates to an October Health Care Forum. Edie is tabling at the Episcopal Diocese convention in November, preparing to ask the Diocese to join HCAO in 2017. She's been asked to present twice in September to a Diocese Women's event.
Region 2: Cascades-East (Baker, Crook, Deschutes, Gilliam, Grant, Harney, Hood River, Jefferson, Klamath, Lake, Malheur, Morrow, Sherman, Umatilla, Union, Wallowa, Wasco and Wheeler counties)
- Cheryl Simpson reports that the Oregon Rural Action Health Care Reform-Action Team is starting a fall house party schedule, even in a mobile home park! They are planning on an October showing of the Fix It movie.
Region 3: Northwest (Clatsop, Columbia, Lincoln, Tillamook and Yamhill Counties)
- Frank Erickson reports that they are hoping to show the Fix It movie at the local library
Region4: Southwest (Coos, Curry, Douglas, Jackson, Josephine and Lane counties)
- Jean Gallaher went to the SEIU meeting in July, communicating with local Democrats, and did flyering.
- Bob Bickers attended the Corvallis 25th anniversary celebration.
- Joe Graff reports that Ashland (HCAO Rogue Valley) is moving ahead with a ballot measure and would like to share materials and receive materials from other groups.
Region 5: Metro (Clackamas, Multnomah and Washington Counties )
- Barbara Council reports that they have been tabling on Sundays and gathering signatures. Hyung Nam tabled at the City Club health care forum.
- Chris Lowe reports that he and Lee Mercer met with Portland City Commissioner Steve Novick about bringing a resolution to Portland City Council, urging the state legislature to engage seriously with the outcome of the study now being conducted for the Oregon Health Authority by Rand, under acts promoted by HCAO (HB 3260 of 2013 and HB 2828 of 2015). A hearing is tentatively scheduled for October.
- Ken Myers, Don Pagano and Nancy Sullivan of the HCAO Metro Coordinating Council have been organizing training sessions and district outreach for the Metro part of the statewide legislative contact program. Don has taken the lead on contacting potential participants. If anyone would like to be part of a legislative contact team in a Metro area district, please contact Don Pagano.